Wednesday 5 February 2014

Rant #1 - Education

Ok so I was a bit reluctant to post something like this but then I thought to myself 'why not?! it's my blog and I can post what I like!' so that's what I'm going to do...

So recently, I've been really frustrated with the world, and more specifically the education system. We spend the majority of our teenage years 'learning' about things that we are unlikely to ever use again. For example: algebra. Unless you are planning to be some sort of mathematician or scientist after you leave school, I doubt very much that you will be using algebra very often, if not at all. So why are we learning these things?! Who was it that decided that some ridiculous and complete abstract theory is more important than being a decent human being for example? There are plenty of people out there who, despite maybe being extremely rude and disrespectful, are still thought of by our society as 'better' just because one of their strengths happens to be in an academic subject, and I don't think this is fair.

I strongly believe that being a good, decent person is 100x more important than having a good memory to pass an exam. That's the other issue: all we are learning is aimed at one exam. Shouldn't the whole point of an education be to teach and prepare children and teenagers for adult life? To learn the things that will come in useful like how taxes work or how to deal with people in different situations. So much pressure is put on us to do well in exams but is it really fair to judge us on how much useless knowledge we have managed to cram into our heads.

The sad thing is that there is near to nothing I can do about it. But anyway, I don't want to ruin your day too much so I'm going to shut up now. 

If you do agree with me on anything please restore my faith in humanity and leave me a comment.

- RANT OVER -

No comments:

Post a Comment